History 

Caferallaren.jpg

For generations, Myrdal was a pasture used by farmers of Flåm valley. The area was not along the main road and few people were familiar with the beautiful and serene surroundings of Myrdal. In the late 1800s, when the Bergen Railway was built, Myrdal went from being an unknown mountain valley to the centre of the biggest building project in the country. At the most, there were 110 permanent residents, there was a simple church and the school was built in 1920. The restaurant at Myrdal opened in 1909 and is today the location of Café Rallaren. Today Myrdal has no permanent residents.

More about Myrdal’s history (mainly in Norwegian):

AURLAND SOGELAG